70 Illegal Migrants Drown off Coast of Tunisia

Source: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180619-libyas-coast-guard-recovers-five-bodies-from-migrant-boat/

A boatload of 70 illegal migrants who were on the way to Europe from Libya have drowned. Their vessel capsized in the deadliest such incident in the Mediterranean since January, with only 16 survivors in total.   

UN’s International Organisation for Migration said of the tragedy:

The migrants reportedly paid 2,000 to 3,000 TND (EUR 700 to 1,000) for the crossing. The fishing boat that transported them left the Kerkennah coast on Saturday, 2 June in the early evening, and began taking on water two hours later.

It was around 22:45 that the maritime units of the Tunisian Army and the National Guard responded to the call for distress, five miles from the Kerkennah coast.”

So far in 2019, 17,000 migrants have illegally entered Europe via the sea, about 30% fewer than in the same period last year, according to the International Organization for Migration. The IOM said 443 people have reportedly died on Mediterranean crossings since 1 January, compared with 620 in the same period in 2018.

In Italy, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has argued that these migrants constitute an invasion.

Speaking on Hungarian national television, the leader of the League party said:

“If we do not take back control of our roots, Europe will become an Islamic caliphate.”

Salvini did not stop there; during the talk, he accused left-wing governments of “transforming the Mediterranean into an open-air cemetery.”

Like this story? Share it!

Site Managed by ManageWP® Australia