Duterte threatened to “declare war” on Canada if the garbage isn’t returned to Canada within a week. More than 100 containers of Canadian waste were shipped to Manila in 2013 and 2014 — and have been there since. Earlier this week, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to send the containers of decaying goods back to Canada.
“‘Yung basura ng Canada, I want a boat prepared. I give a warning to Canada, maybe next week, they better pull their thing up or I will set sail sa Canada, ibuhos ko basura nila doon,” Duterte said.
“I’ll declare war against them, isauli ko talaga tingnan mo (I will really return that, you’ll see), karga mo ‘yan sa barko, load it to a ship and advise Canada, I will advise Canada that your garbage, prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to,” Duterte said on Tuesday, April 23 in San Fernando, Pampanga.
Canada has tried repeatedly to get the Philippines to agree to dispose of the rubbish. Environmental activists on both sides of the ocean say the shipments violates international law on waste dumping.
A coalition of Filipino environment groups that has been lobbying to get the rubbish returned since 2014, is planning a protest outside the Canadian Embassy in Manila on Monday.’
Like this story? SHARE IT!